Midland Railway Square
Project: Midland Railway Square
Client: Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority
Our team of specialised tradespeople and preferred contractors have successfully transformed this public space into the new civic heart for Midland. Located at the Railway Workshops in Midland, Western Australia, this is a 20th century, nationally recognised, industrial heritage site and formerly where the “shunting yards” stood.
- Civil works
- Steel and timber shade structures
- Extensive Architectural and Decorative Concrete and paving
- Custom Lighting
- Street furniture
- Bespoke Steel and timber seating areas
- Landscaping including transplanting of mature trees
- Timber Decking
- Event Infrastructure, Amphitheatre
The contemporary design evokes the former site use by transforming heavy rail infrastructure into a social precinct. The use of industrial materials, custom rail inspired street furniture, artworks and recycled timber from the original workshops has ensured the heritage of the surrounding buildings and the rail tracks remain an integral and essential connection to the past.
Interpretative rail lines that route through this space have been designed to express the heritage of Midland and the significance of the history;
- The Live Line – An existing live railway line integrated into the design to allow trains to access the site during special events.
- The Social Line – Brings to life the rich social history of the former workers & their families and includes a line of rail furniture for sitting, lounging, playing and meeting.
- The Water Line – A linear misting and lighting feature that references the history of steam engines and movement of trains through the site.
- The History Line – Interpretive artwork set between the rail tracks that tells the history of state wide rail connections from the site and the shunting of the rail carts on the site.
- The Lost Line – A rail line that disappears into a garden bed of a development site interpreting the decline of the workshops in the 1990s and the re-purposing of the site for a new community.